You’ve heard about detoxes by now. They’re all the rage. But just in case you haven’t let’s define it. A detox is where you abstain from certain substances, like unhealthy foods, and replace them with something good for you to help heal and repair damage that’s been done. For example: lemon water, or other vegetable juices and even fresh, filtered water.
The reasons detoxing might suit you and benefit you are:
- Shrinks Your Stomach – When you replace any meal with a detox you’re going to cause your stomach to shrink which will help you eat less when you go back to eating normal food.
- Makes You More Mindful – When you go on a detox it makes you think about how much food you eat that you really don’t need. When you go back to eating you’re going to be more conscience of each bite that goes into your mouth, which may result in your making healthier choices.
- Improves Digestion – Most detoxes help improve digestion by cleaning out the gut and helping get rid of bad bacteria then replacing it with good bacteria. If you have any issues with your gut that show up as heart burn, diarrhea, constipation and so forth a detox can do wonders for you.
- Promotes Fresher Breath – Depending on which type of detox you use, usually you’ll experience fresher breath. This is unlike many other types of diets you can do such as low carb. The reason is that most detoxes are made with fruit like lemon or veggies like cucumber. They clean out your digestive track and your throat and make your breath fresher.
- Gives You More Energy – While if you do a long detox involving just juice you may experience some level of tiredness, if you give it time as the nutrients get into your body you’ll have a lot more energy. The reason is you’re not being weighed down by heavy food, and after you get over the caffeine addiction your natural resources take over.
- Balances Your Body’s pH Levels – Our bodies are somewhat alkaline. Your urine controls these levels by dispelling the acid as needed. Believe it or not, but fruit juices, especially citrus in water helps alkaline the body and are not considered acidic. But, milk is acidic.
- Improves Mental Clarity – As you go through your detox, ridding your body of all the buildup over time your mental clarity will improve. Removing food that clogs the pours, the veins and causes your mental ability to decline, like refined sugars and fats is always a good thing for your mind.
- Boosts Your Immunity – Everyone needs more vitamins and minerals but you don’t really want to have to take a bunch of pills all the time. A detox will help with your immunity because it gives your body a break from digestion. The detox lets it focus on healing instead of digesting.
- Gets You Started On a Healthier Path – Finally, a detox will help you get started on a much healthier path. You’ll realize that you have a lot more willpower than you thought, plus your taste buds will love every food you put in your body. If you choose healthier foods, it’s going to love you more.
A detox is somewhat personal in nature. It’s all about what you want to do and how you want to do it. There are many types of detoxes you can choose from including lemon detoxes, juice feasts and more. One of the easiest ones to start with is a lemon detox. Why not give it a try?